Thanks so much for agreeing to be with us today, Sarah!
Thanks for having me! I assume my reputation hasn’t preceded me. Or maybe it has and you’re cool with my lampshade-on-the-head routine when things get a little wild, but either way, it’s an honor to be here. 🙂
What 5 things should readers know about you?
- I always start with the kids because they shape EVERYTHING for me. My husband and I have six – five on purpose, then I had my tubes partially removed and the ends tied and burned and THEN we had baby number six. SURPRISE! (And a great one!)
- We travel a LOT: over 20k miles since 2013 in an effort to show the kids at least 48 states and tons of national parks, which we do the eight of us riding in my 9-passenger Suburban while pulling a 34’ travel trailer. We completed a trip this month that tallied 8,110 miles.
- I never wanted to be an author. I wrote my first book after someone told me I should and I said I couldn’t. Later, having said I couldn’t do something didn’t sit well with me, so I wrote a book and it was picked up by the first publisher I queried. O.o
- That part about not wanting to be an author? While I admit to being a bit of a grammar freak, the truth is I never did like Language Arts or Literature in school. I actually double-majored in biology and biochemistry and I love math.
- I landed my first contract with Entangled with a manuscript an editor friend of mine suggested I scrap. Sort of. Three days before the deadline on the call for submissions, she told me what I had was a mess. I rewrote feverishly and turned it in…and was signed. Her comments and that submission completely changed my life.
Six kids, constant traveling, AND you have time to write? I feel like such a slacker now… 😉
Where did the inspiration for this book come from?
My first contemporary with Entangled was THE MARRIAGE AGENDA, which did really well on the Indulgence imprint. My editor and I discussed making a series of it, but I hadn’t left any open doors – no brothers, no real connections otherwise left to be explored. Then, because she’s brilliant, she had the idea to bring in some cousins, and from that, the Mad, Bad Hamiltons series was born. Each book focuses on one of three brothers, all of whom have stories born from sin. Jagger’s vice in THE MILLIONAIRE’S GAMBLE is greed, and when that clashes with love, things get really interesting. 🙂
Cousins! Brilliant 🙂
How long have you been writing, and what (or who) inspired you to start?
I started my first book in 2009 after having some surprising success bringing in non-fiction income. As I mentioned, a friend of mine found out and told me to write a book, and I thought that just sounded impossible. I told her as much, but later it hit me that I should at least TRY. I wrote that book in about six months and submitted it to exactly one publisher, who picked it up and published it in 2010. (I didn’t even expect to get it published. I just considered submission the finish line, lol.) Ironically, it was because of my association with that publisher that I eventually met the editor-friend who told me my intended first sub for Entangled needed a rewrite. I wouldn’t be here without her, and it blows my mind how I just randomly selected a publisher (no research – yeah, that was bad) and yet everything fell perfectly into place from there.
LOL—well, it’s definitely worked for you, so congrats1
What are you working on right now? What can readers look for from you in the next year?
I’m writing the last book in the Chase Brothers series with Entangled Lovestruck, this one featuring Grady, who isn’t a Chase man but readers of the series will recognize him as a big part of the reason the series exists. 🙂 In the next year, Liam and Grady will release (Chase Brothers #4 and #5) and the rest of the Mad, Bad Hamilton series will release from Entangled Indulgence. I also have a romantic suspense coming from Samhain in August, and I recently signed with Entangled Brazen for a series that will kick off in early 2017.
Are you writing while driving? 😉 Seriously, though—sounds awesome. Can’t wait!
If you had to “sell” your book in a single Tweet, what would you say?
She thinks she’s won, but she’s wrong. There’s only way he’s going down…and that’s on that hot, delectable body of hers.
Thanks again for having me!
About Sarah Ballance:
Sarah and her husband of what he calls “many long, long years” live on the mid-Atlantic coast with their six young children, all of whom are perfectly adorable when they’re asleep. She never dreamed of becoming an author, but as a homeschooling mom, she often jokes she writes fiction because if she wants anyone to listen to her, she has to make them up. As it turns out, her characters aren’t much better than the kids, but nevertheless, you’ll find her writing sexy contemporary romance for Entangled Publishing until they throw her out. To learn more, visit http://sarahballance.com.
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Newsletter
About THE MILLIONAIRE’S GAMBLE:
Wealth has a price. Everyone wants something from you. For one woman, that something was my DNA. One minute, she was kissing me like we were going to strip it down and go
at it. And the next, she was ripping out my hair for a paternity test—and threatening to torpedo my latest deal. I don’t play these kind of games. And that damnably sexy woman with the alluring eyes and mistaken agenda is about to learn that the hard way…
Millionaire scion Jagger Hamilton didn’t father Kennedy Price’s nephew. That doesn’t mean he can’t use the situation to his advantage. She wants him to take a paternity test. He wants her in his bed.
She’s blackmailing him, and she’s playing dirty. He could try to use the famous Hamilton charm to turn her into a powerful ally… But she makes him feel… Way. Too. Much.
Kennedy Price isn’t asking much. Just for the powerful, sinfully hot, and notorious playboy to be a decent human being. But he’s used to using that filthy, sensual mouth for getting what he wants.
And he wants her.
She’s determined not to fall for him. But there’s no avoiding his charisma, or his bed, where she threatens to lose more than the standoff between them. She just might lose her heart.
Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Kobo