5 Reasons to Read Caught on Camera
by Madelle Morgan
- The Hollywood in Muskoka series is for movie-lovers. Caught on Camera, Book 1, includes many movie and TV show references. Chapter titles are spoofs of romantic comedy film titles; e.g., Must Love Police Dogs, His Best Friend’s Wedding, There’s Something about Rachel, etc.
- Humor. It’s a romantic comedy, so the situational humor revolves around the complications from chambermaid Rachel’s deception. Sticky situations arise as Rachel tries to adapt to her temporary role as the bride’s “cousin” and bridesmaid, unbeknownst to the celebrity guests. When Mickey, a groomsman, takes a romantic interest, she’s caught between her need to avoid him so she can take secret photos and her burning desire to hook up with the handsome talent agent.
- Mopette. The bride’s fluffy white Maltese dog plays a major role in the story. Mopette is a loveable, cuddly pet with a mischievous streak that gets Rachel into big trouble. For a non-speaking role, Mopette pops up in many scenes. You might say she’s a co-star in this production.
- Coming of age story. Who hasn’t dreamed of a career in Hollywood? Rachel thinks she knows what she wants to be—a Hollywood camera operator on set with the stars she idolizes. Then Mickey helps Rachel realize she has a special talent that will take her in a different direction, and into his arms in Hollywood.
- Caught on Camera has a soundtrack. Actually, I created a playlist. Within each chapter, a music note together with a song title cues the reader to listen to that song in a YouTube playlist. I chose songs that reflect the heroine’s emotional journey throughout the love story—the highs, the lows, and the ultimate resolution. I selected Michael Bublé’s hit Hollywood for the theme song for the series because of its upbeat energy and message “You can find it in yourself”.
Madelle completed four novels before Ellora’s Cave Publishing Inc. contracted to publish her debut romantic suspense, Diamond Lust—republished as Diamond Hunter—and a sexy, short free read, The Next Big Thing, in 2010.
When Madelle realized her author voice is more suited to light, humorous contemporary romance, she went waaaay back to her teen years for the Hollywood in Muskoka series setting. Madelle, her sisters, and assorted pets enjoyed idyllic summers at a lake in the District of Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, named by National Geographic Traveler magazine as one of their top 20 Best of the World Must-see Places.
The Muskoka lakes’ forested shorelines are dotted with palatial properties owned by wealthy families and Hollywood celebrities. At sixteen, being neither rich nor famous, Madelle worked briefly as a chambermaid at the now-closed Delawana Inn, a local resort.
Madelle is retired from an engineering career in the federal public service and lives in Ottawa, Canada’s capital, with her husband. She tries to keep fit with cycling, Pilates, and yoga, and dreams of owning a waterfront cottage. Or at least a pool.
She tweets and posts on Facebook and Goodreads about Hollywood, filmmaking, Muskoka, and, of course, writing. She blogs the second Tuesday of the month at romancingthegenres.blogspot.com and occasionally on her own website.
Caught on Camera
(Hollywood in Muskoka, #1)
Publication date: September 9th 2016
Genres: Comedy, New Adult, Romance
To achieve her dream of working on Hollywood film sets, star struck chambermaid Rachel Lehmann needs $35,000 for film school tuition by the end of the summer. When she’s asked to fill in for a missing bridesmaid at a movie star’s wedding, it’s her big chance to take candid photos of celebrities and sell them to the entertainment media. Then groomsman Mickey McNichol, agent to the stars, sweeps her off her feet.
Mickey’s bitter experience is that everyone in show business fakes emotions. When he falls for the stand-in bridesmaid, he thinks he’s finally met a beautiful woman he can trust. But if Rachel betrays his friends’ privacy, Mickey will ensure she never works in Hollywood.
a Rafflecopter giveaway