5 Things Readers Should Know About Author Dawn Alteri
- I’ve been writing romance since I was way too young to be writing romance. When I was barely a teenager, I started scribbling age-inappropriate stories in notebooks and in three ring binders, then I’d borrow my dad’s typewriter (I’m showing my age–we didn’t have a computer yet!) to type them up in the hopes of getting them published. I never submitted them anywhere. Looking back on them now, it was probably for the best.
- I love chocolate. Like, REALLY love chocolate. From M&Ms to Godiva dark chocolate raspberry truffles to chocolate mousse, chocolate cake and even chocolate tea. There’s a chocolatier in Denmark who makes a 70% Valrhona cacao dark chocolate truffle with a French black truffle inside. It sells for $250. I’m saving up for a dozen.
- I volunteer as an animal rescue transporter, moving animals from high-kill shelters to foster homes and safe adoption centers. Although I don’t have time to do nearly as much as I’d like to, it is one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had. These animals know they’ve finally found a haven after facing a devastatingly uncertain future, and they look up at you with such gratitude in their eyes, it truly warms your heart. Ugh. I’m getting all weepy just thinking about it!
- I may or may not have an unhealthy obsession with Charlie Hunnam. Specifically, Charlie Hunnam as Jax Teller in Sons of Anarchy, Season 4, Episode 10. He was the inspiration for Ryan Monroe, the hero in my debut novel Burn, with his shaggy/spikey dirty blond hair, his blue-gray eyes, his fiercely protective nature concerning the woman he loved… And now I have to go watch it again.
- I’m really mad at myself for taking this long to start writing seriously! But the saying is true, better late than never. And now, I’m really, REALLY glad I finally did it.
A lifelong resident of northern New Jersey, Dawn Altieri has been scribbling stories practically since birth. After reaching a milestone birthday (she won’t say which one), she figured it was about time she took a shot at writing professionally.
With an overactive imagination and a slightly twisted mind, she enjoys reading dark and dangerous tales almost as much as writing them. When she’s not curled up on the sofa with her laptop, her latest story, a box of chocolates and a cup of tea (or a glass of wine, depending on the time of day), she can be found volunteering in the world of animal rescue. She shares her home with her husband and daughter, and a menagerie of rescued fur-babies.
About the Book:
Chloe Addison is on the verge of a promising career in real estate development until an explosion destroys her first major project and casts suspicion on her in an arson investigation. Her career is suddenly at risk—and possibly her life.
Firefighter Ryan Monroe wants a spot on the arson team, and getting close to Chloe might be the best way to solve his first investigation. Despite a painful past of his own, Ryan has dedicated himself to saving people, and when he realizes Chloe is in danger, she’s no exception. He just might be the perfect guy to rescue her, but their attraction could bring them both down in flames.
Add to Goodreads
Burn is a solid first effort. The suspense is decent–I definitely didn’t know the whole time who was behind the fires, and there’s a few red herrings thrown in to keep it interesting–and the romance is sweet, if a bit on the instalove side. I especially enjoyed the first 60% if the book–a hunky firefighter with a protective streak a mile wide? What’s not to love? 😉 It lost me a little bit after that point, though, with the continued secret keeping and Chloe and Ryan only revealing select parts of their pasts to each other but then holding the exact thing they themselves did against the other person when the truth came out–very frustrating. The climax is suitably suspenseful and dramatic, though, and the ending is cute despite it’s being rushed. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for more from this author in the future.
Rating: 3 stars / C+
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
- $20 Amazon Gift Card