Don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
10 Random things about THE REASON I STAY
- THE REASON I STAY was originally entitled Madeleine, which was also Lexie’s original name.
- In my first outline the story was set in LA and Matt worked as a special effects makeup artist for the film industry.
- Creating the fictional town of Jolene, Alabama, was suggestion from my husband.
- Whenever I describe the color of Lexie’s nail polish in the book, I’m actually describing the color I had on that week.
- Lexie was originally a strawberry blonde, but then I saw the photo that would become the cover of the book and I knew she was a golden blonde.
- It took me a solid month to write chapter six. When I finally finished it, I cried and danced like a crazy person, which scared my cat so badly she spent the afternoon behind the fridge.
- Lexie’s car is named Quick in honor of my bunny, Quicksilver. He had two strokes in February and spent about two months recovering on my lap while I wrote. He’s doing amazing now, by the way.
- All of my beta readers received little cameos. They were very happy about them.
- Like Matt, I’ve never had chocolate chip pancakes. Like Lexie, I find the concept fantastic.
- Cash, Lexie’s dog was created in honor of one of my husband’s childhood dogs who suffered a lot in the hands of mean people, but was thoroughly loved by his human best friend.
The Reason I Stay
by Patty Maximini
Publication date: September 10th 2014
Genres: New Adult, Romance
Jack Daniels is the cure to all evils.
Sex should be casual and, preferably, anonymous. Giving a damn is for nurses, philanthropists and suicide hotlines. My name is Mathew Rogers and those are the values I built my adult life around. They are also the reason I had to forsake everything I loved in Seattle and embark on a solitary road trip across the country, with no direction other than searching for the next small town, the next girl, and the closest liquor store. Boredom, frustration and a series of unfortunate decisions led me to the rickety-ass town of Jolene, Alabama—a town I wanted to leave behind from the moment I passed the welcome sign. But it was there where I met her. The girl who made me question everything I’ve always believed in, and the only one who has ever had the power to break my heart. Her name is Lexie. She’s beautiful, and I’m pretty sure she hates me. And for once in my life, I give enough of a damn that I keep finding a reason to stay.
Tanie laughs, and raises a brow. “He’s hot.”
“That he is,” I reply.
Jill yells, “Water break,” behind us.
The two girls abandon the ball and run breathless toward us, Matthew trailing behind.
“You, too, Matthew.” She waves him over and, to my absolutely horror, adds, “These gals thought you might be hot. Actually, they both said you were, and by the looks of the sweat in your hair, I think a little water break’ll be good for you.”
“Is that right?” He quirks his lips as he strides casually toward Jill.
His gaze travels from Jill to me to Tanie, and then back to me, where it lingers. I’m at the same time humiliated and dying to roll on my back and laugh until my stomach hurts, but all I can do is stare at him. His eyes are wide and filled with mirth. He stops right in front of me.
“You all think right. I’m really hot.”
Hopeless dreamer, tattoo enthusiast, Disney addict and hoarder of nail polishes and vegan recipes. Patty lives with her husband, her crazy cat, two dogs and elderly bunny in a house frequently visited by wild birds and chipmunks.